This led to two problems;
- First, the sides of the footings collapsed as the ground became totally waterlogged.
- And second, the builders merchants couldn't get the delivery vehicle anywhere near to where I needed the materials so I put it off, again and again, while I waited for the rain to stop.
I have three walls to build:
- One is a retaining wall, 72 feet (22m) long and ranging in height from ground level to five feet (1.5m).
- Another, 44 feet (13.5m) is technically a retaining wall but the ground behind it is very stable.
- The third is only partially a retaining wall, the ground on one side being higher than the other by up to 18 inches (45cm). But it stands up to five feet tall on one side, three-and-a-half feet on the other and it's 64 feet (19.5m) long.
So it needs a serious concrete footing to stand on and that took a lot of concrete, all mixed in my barrow mixer and poured into the footings by hand. Hard work but more fun than two hours with Gwyneth Paltrow.
Okay, probably not.
Post a Comment