This led to two problems;
- First, the sides of the footings collapsed as the ground became totally waterlogged.
- And second, the builders merchants couldn't get the delivery vehicle anywhere near to where I needed the materials so I put it off, again and again, while I waited for the rain to stop.
I have three walls to build:
- One is a retaining wall, 72 feet (22m) long and ranging in height from ground level to five feet (1.5m).
- Another, 44 feet (13.5m) is technically a retaining wall but the ground behind it is very stable.
- The third is only partially a retaining wall, the ground on one side being higher than the other by up to 18 inches (45cm). But it stands up to five feet tall on one side, three-and-a-half feet on the other and it's 64 feet (19.5m) long.
So it needs a serious concrete footing to stand on and that took a lot of concrete, all mixed in my barrow mixer and poured into the footings by hand. Hard work but more fun than two hours with Gwyneth Paltrow.
Okay, probably not.